Frozen pipes and water damage

February 12, 2016 by  
Filed under Uncategorized

The best method to handle frozen plumbing is to take steps to avoid it.  Most insurance policies will pay for water damage caused by frozen pipes as well as pipe repair and the cost to tear out and replace necessary elements to access the pipes.  But there are also many requirements to be covered for such loss:  if the building is vacant, unoccupied or under construction an insured is required to to their best to maintain heat in the building or to completely drain the plumbing.  Automatic oil delivery is one way to demonstrate that you are doing your best to maintain heat with an oil furnace, but regular service of any heating system is also necessary.  Having a service contract can fulfill a portion of your obligation.  If the plumbing is to be drained, be sure to have it done professionally so you can prove it, or if you must undertake it yourself, having a compressor and blowing air through the lines after draining will eliminate low spots where water can accumulate.  Also be sure to winterize all drains and toilets.  Toilets should be shut off, flushed and anti freeze put in both the tank and the bowl.  Antifreeze should be poured into all other drains.

Sometimes the best efforts will not stop plumbing from freezing.  Pipes that are next to exterior walls are more susceptible to freezing and buildings with poor or no insulation stand a greater chance that the interior might be warm but a pipe run or basement pipe may freeze.  Often a frozen pipe will not leak until it actually thaws, as the frozen ice is a block to the water escaping.  Sometimes pipes can freeze without damage.  In such cases a pipe can be thawed with a hair dryer, but avoid heat guns and torches which commonly cause fires when attempting to thaw pipes.

Some things you can do to avoid frozen plumbing (especially if it has occurred previously) is to keep cabinet doors under sinks open so that the room air can heat the space, or open faucets just slightly to create a drip.  Just like running streams do not usually freeze, the water moving in pipes may prevent the line from freezing.  If there are pipe runs in an unheated or poorly heated basement, they can be insulated but that is not always effective.  It is more effective to be sure there is insulation in the basement, especially if there is any open framing on an exterior wall.  There is often space between the top of a masonry foundation and the floor above it, and the exterior walls of that space need to be insulated.

If all else fails and you do have water damage from frozen plumbing, heating, air conditioning, sprinkler system or domestic appliance, immediately notify your insurance company and hire a mitigation company to come to pump out water and to dry the premises.  Take plenty of photos to demonstrate the damage as it occurred.  Do NOT throw damaged items away, as an insurance company has the right to inspect them before payment.  Feel free to call us if you need advice or assistance with your claim.

Ice dam and snow coverage explained

January 26, 2015 by  
Filed under Uncategorized

Most business and homeowner policies cover weight of ice and snow that causes damage (check the policy to be sure) but the following is a discussion of a common problem after large snowstorms.


The most common form of policy is the HO3 policy form.  Direct writing insurance companies like State Farm, Nationwide and  Allstate use their own version of this common policy, usually called “deluxe”.  It covers all risks of physical loss to the dwelling and other structures on your property except those specifically excluded.  This policy covers ice dam water damage to building components only.  If you have an HO2 policy form or the less expensive direct write policy (often called “standard”), there is usually no coverage for ice dam claims  (weight of ice or snow is covered under both the HO3 and HO2.)  Under most homeowner forms contents (personal property) are not covered for water damage from snow or rain unless the exterior of the building is first damaged by the force of wind or there is a complete or partial collapse of the roof and water enters through such opening.  Carpet installed over finished flooring is usually considered contents, not a building component.  Of course drywall, plaster, paint, wallpaper, wood floors, electrical fixtures, etc. are considered building items.



An ice dam forms when warm air from a heated house circulating under the roof melts snow on top of it.  A thick layer of snow traps air and acts like insulation allowing the surface of the roof to warm to the point that it melts the snow.  As the water flows down the roof it reaches the edge (overhang) which is colder than the rest of the roof because there is no heat under it.  The water then re-freezes at the edge of the roof and more water coming down the roof flows over it, building up more and more ice.  Eventually this ice forms a dam which traps the liquid water on the uphill side of it.  Water then rises to the point that it flows under the shingles, entering the house and causing water damage.  The only way to stop this damage once it has begun is to remove the thick layer of ice, which is often extremely difficult.

In many snow belt areas, electric warmers can be installed under the edge of the roof  when re-roofing.  Metal edging is sometimes used to allow any ice build up to slide off the roof (the rough texture of roof shingles holds ice in place.)  Ice dams can usually be minimized by quick removal of snow from the lower section of a roof.  Be sure to drag the snow down the roof rather than trying to shovel upwards, as a shovel will often catch a roof shingle and tear it off!  Hardware stores and mail order houses often carry a special telescoping tool to remove roof snow; it looks something like a big rake without teeth.


New Insurance Bill on Appraisal signed by Governor Cuomo

June 28, 2014 by  
Filed under Uncategorized

Comments Off on New Insurance Bill on Appraisal signed by Governor Cuomo

In the waning days of the spring session of the NY legislature, both the Assembly and Senate unanimously passed a bill that requires ALL insurers in NY not only to honor the formal appraisal clause found in every property policy, but also to include “the extent of damage” meaning the scope of the loss.  While appraisal will not decide issues of whether or not a loss is covered, it can be an inexpensive way to settle a disputed claim without hiring an attorney or waiting years for a court case to be heard.  Please see our tab outlining the appraisal process (Alternate Resolution) which can be found under the “Considerations” tab on our top menu bar.

Liberty Mutual customers beware!

June 15, 2012 by  
Filed under Uncategorized

Comments Off on Liberty Mutual customers beware!

It has come to our attention that many, if not all, Liberty Mutual homeowner policies have a new endorsement that seriously limits your recovery for personal property. This endorsement supersedes any other language in the policy, even the “deluxe” policy. It limits potential recovery to a maximum of $2,500 for loss to all the following categories of property:  $2500 in the aggregate for loss of any of the following whether or not they are part of a collection: trading cards, comic books, figurines, stamps, advertising materials, stuffed animals, dolls, sports and entertainment memorabilia, toys, games, militaria, and books” This means the limit applies to any combination of loss to these categories of property. To our knowledge no other company has such restrictive coverage in their homeowner policies. Most families have much more at stake for these categories of property. We recommend that you examine your COMPLETE policy for this endorsement or if you only have the declarations page, look for “Ammendatory Endorsement FMHO2810”. We highly recommend changing insurance companies if you find this endorsement applies to your policy and would negatively affect you in the event of a loss. Note that you can change companies even in the middle of a policy period and receive a pro-rata refund for the unused time period of your current policy.